4 Question To Help You Determine Your Style!
Sometimes when you meet with an interior designer for the first time, you will be asked what is your preferred style of décor. Most people have no idea what styles are available to choose from, and which style/styles they are drawn to. Below are four questions you can ask yourself and based on your answers, it will help you narrow down a style that best suits you and your home.
Once you know which styles are more to your liking, you can research those styles and see for yourself if you like them. Then, when you meet with your designer, it can be a more fruitful meeting because it is always easier for your designer to give you what you want when you know exactly what what it is that you like.
1. Past or present?
Do you find yourself drawn to things that are old and seasoned or fresh and new? If you are all about the past, consider the following styles:
· Contemporary: This style is full of sleek lines and ’60s flair; a contemporary design will take you back to the era of Mad Men. This design borrows from different time periods, creating an eclectic atmosphere.
· French country: French country design is all about the romance. Its furniture is elegantly curved and its opulent décor will remind you of a palace.
· Traditional: Traditional design describes “old world” to a tee. Its design encompasses classic lines, comfortable furniture and orderly lines.
If you are all about the present, then you may want to consider the following styles:
· Modern: Minimalism and super clean lines are keys to today’s top design trends.
· Scandinavian: This design style is a combination of both, modern and rustic elements such as warm woods and area rugs.
· Eclectic: This style is a rejection of traditional conventions. It does not conform to what is the accepted style. This design is superb for creating your own casual aesthetics.